Skilled Citizenship And Naturalization Attorney

Legal permanent residents possessing a green card cannot achieve the full benefit of living in America without proceeding through the naturalization and citizenship process. Many other freedoms and civil rights, such as the right to vote, are only granted to United States citizens.

The Law Office of John P. McKenna, P.C., provides knowledgeable legal representation to immigrants wanting to become U.S. citizens. Do not hesitate to contact our office to speak with a skilled citizenship lawyer who brings more than 20 years of experience.

Changing Status From Permanent Residency To Citizenship

The naturalization process consists of several guidelines that must be followed prior to obtaining U.S. citizenship. However, there may be occasional exceptions to these guidelines. Children born to a United States citizen may automatically gain citizenship. Naturalization and citizenship guidelines involve:

  • After obtaining a green card, legal permanent residents must have lived in the United States for a specific period of time — three years for immigrants married to a citizen; five years for unmarried immigrants
  • Immigrants must have lived in the district where they are filing the application for at least 90 days continuously prior to filing the application. This means that the individual cannot simply have a mailing address in that district and live elsewhere, such as in his or her home country.
  • The immigrant must physically be present in the United States for at least 30 days prior to filing the application
  • The immigrant must prove he or she has had good moral character for at least the past five years — including proving absence of any conviction for a crime
  • The immigrant must pass an English and civics test

Helping Immigrants Enhance Their Opportunity In America

John P. McKenna is a knowledgeable immigration law attorney with experience helping legal permanent residents through the naturalization process and helping them gain citizenship.

Contact our Springfield, Massachusetts, law firm to speak with an experienced citizenship lawyer by calling 866-607-0601.

Springfield Citizenship And Naturalization Lawyer
Massachusetts Immigration Law Attorney